After discussing what goes into a good logo, I thought it would be fun (and possibly controversial) to put together what we think are the 10 best and 10 worst logos out there. In this first article, I am going to tackle the harder list first. That’s right…the 10 worst logos!
So, here are the picks:
10. This is the brainchild of the London 2012 Olympic committee. Where do you start here? Apparently it comes in a variety of colors. I wonder if a different color will make it easier to see that they are talking about the Olympics occurring in the year 2012! Read more about the ‘inspiration’ behind this logo here. I also came across some information that this logo came with a price tag of $900,000 US! Can anyone verify this fact? Holy cow! I’ll create a new one for them in Paint for 10% of that cost! Ok, I’ll do it with my eyes closed for 5% and I guarantee it will look better!
9. The Big Apple settled on this??! It’s a font nightmare. NYC is full of ‘high design’ and widely considered a marketing supercenter. So, why is THIS the winning design? Check out some of the other submissions displayed at the New York Times blog (I like the Lady Liberty design much, much more than this dull thing).
8. I remember the first time I saw a Pathmark supermarket. Honestly, my impression at the time was…what a stupid logo. 17 years later…I still think the same thing. Pretty boring…
7. I had to include this logo simply because it is so popular on the Internet (or should that be unpopular?). It is consistently listed in everyone’s lists of bad logos. Most of the time it holds the number one slot. By the way…this company is located in Arlington, MA and not in Arlington, TX. I had to protect the great state of Texas. From a simple glance, one can see why it is included on everyone’s lists. It’s terrible!
6. This one just hurts my eyes. This is the logo for Brand Union (I know, you had just as hard of a time trying to recognize those words too). Astonishingly enough, this is a global company. It’s a shame they have such a hard to read logo.
5. Trivia Question: This is the logo for what national sports team? You don’t know? Well, neither would I except that I found it on the NBA’s website. It’s the logo for the Portland Trailblazers. Huh? Would someone kindly enlighten us all as to the history of this terrible logo design? The best association I can come up with is that it sort of looks like a hurricane symbol from The Weather Channel. But, I can’t see any associative properties for the Portland Trailblazers. Foul!
4. Sports logos are a ‘target rich environment’ when it comes to bad logo design. There are only a handful of them that are real, quality, standout logos. This isn’t one of those standouts. First of all, Charlotte was the Hornets. When they moved, they should have undergone a name change (in turn, causing a logo change). What exactly is intimidating about a blue, two toned hornet? How is it associated with New Orleans? Is New Orleans famous for blue hornets?
3. I included this one simply because of its popularity on the Internet too. Apparently it was designed by the CEO’s 6 year old daughter (really). However, as a father myself, I can’t imagine making it the centerpiece for my company. Perhaps it would be a wall hanging in my personal office space where it would function as a great conversation piece, but not as my corporate identity.
2. I’ve included them not only because their logo is incredibly boring, but simply because they are scoundrels. You’d think that with the billions of dollars they gouge out of us, they could at least give us a good logo to look at while we’re paying $3.00 per gallon to pump their fuel into our vehicles.
1. Our final trivia question: To which NFL team does this lovely helmet belong? Yes, it’s the Cleveland Browns. Dull, boring, and incredibly uncreative are the first things that come to mind with their logo (or lack thereof?). What do you think of it?
As with any top ten best or worst list, there are other opinions. This list is not in hierarchical order. They are merely grouped together as 10 really bad logos. So, please let me know what you agree or disagree with on the list. If you have other logos that you think outrank any of these choices, please let me know (there are plenty of lousy logos out there)!